Continuing Professional Education (CPE) Prior Approval
In this unprecedented and uncertain time, we want to provide some information and reassurance as it relates to live CPE activities that may have been submitted recently, and subsequently cancelled, or near future opportunities that are being scheduled or anticipated. Per CDR any current pre-approved activities can be changed to LIVE webinars so long as you reach out and ask to do so. Any "recording" needs to be offered in a live format - either live lecture or live webinar. Additionally, if you have or will be rescheduling any previously reviewed event you may offer it at any point within a 1 year time frame (of date of planned activity) without having to re-submit.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact our CPE Coordinator at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Requests for Prior Approval of CPE must be submitted directly online via the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) website Online CPE Database. The Michigan Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics no longer accepts requests via email or regular mail.
For prior approval requests, please visit www.cdrnet.org/form-prior-approval. If your organization has not previously submitted a prior approval request via the Online CPE Database, it is highly recommended that you watch the Prior Approval Process Tutorial first, before beginning your request. If you have submitted a request in the past, then click on the appropriate link in Step 2 on the CDR website to log-in and submit a new request. The information and documentation in the list below will be required to submit a request, so please review this list before moving forward. All documents are preferred as PDFs, but Word documents may also be attached.:
- Objectives for each session/speaker are REQUIRED for CPE credit. Objectives must be behavioral rather than knowledge level. Objectives must be written for the participant rather than the speaker, describing anticipated outcomes. EXAMPLE: “The dietitian will be able to write a plan for the nutrition management of HIV+ patients.” Two or three educational objectives are required for each session.
- Qualifications of the speaker must include an abridged Curriculum Vitae or information on training and skills pertinent to the topic, or current resume.
- Programs are recognized by 1/2 hour or 1 hour increments only. 1 hour = 1 CPE unit. A program that is 1 and 1/2 hours = 1.5 CPE units and should not be rounded up to 2 hours.
- List the contact on the approval form as an individual who can answer calls or receive emails regarding the CPE activity. Attach a listing of the locations (city/state) if the program will be running in multiple locations. The CDR will provide the contact number to interested professionals through their online Continuing Professional Education Data Base. MI Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics website will also carry this information for professionals, if requested by the provider to the state coordinator.
- It is highly recommended that the complete program request be received by CDR 4-6 weeks prior to the program date. It is the applicant’s responsibility to insure that the submitted request is complete.
After you conplete the request process, the MI Academy CPE coordinator will review your CPE request and notify you regarding the status of your application and to collect payment. The application fee is $10.00 per CPE hour requested. Please multiply your total number of CPE by $10.00 for your total amount due.
- Example: If a program is 5.5 CPE hours, then 5.5 x $10 = $55 total fees due.
- Payment can be made in the form of a check (made payable to the Michigan Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics or Michigan Academy), or you may contact the MI Academy office via phone at 586-774-7447 and pay via credit card. CDR does not accept payment via the online request site.
Failure to submit your CPE request online to CDR, or failure to make your application fee payment to the MI Academy, may result in a delay or failure to receive prior approval for continuing education activities.
If you have any questions about this process, please contact our MI Academy CPE Coordinator below.