Food Service Manager
Website Michigan Medicine
How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
What Benefits can you Look Forward to?
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage effective on your very first day
- 2:1 Match on retirement savings
- Full Time 40 hours
- Shifts will vary, but all will be on afternoons, typically either 1pm – 9:30pm or 2pm to 10:30pm
- Must be willing to work every other weekend and some holidays.
- Bachelor’s degree in food service management, Dietetics or equivalent combination of education and experience preferred.
- Two years supervisory experience with at least 2-4 years of experience in an institutional or high-volume restaurant foodservice operation, including experience with performance management, promoting teamwork, and motivating staff.
- Knowledge of the FDA Food Code and experience managing kitchen operations using safe food handling sanitation and safety practices. ServSafe foodservice certification within the last five (5) years, or receipt of certification within 60 days of hire.
- Experience managing inventory of food and supplies and placing orders to maintain adequate levels of inventory.
Ability to communicate effectively in both written and verbal form.
- Excellent customer service and service recovery skills.
Ability to supervise a wide variety of staff members with diverse backgrounds and skill levels.
- Excellent organizational skills and computer skills
- General knowledge of foodservice equipment
Relief Room Service Manager position within University Hospital and The Cardiovascular Center. Responsible for the management of food service to patients and guests, including oversight of the Room Service operation and AFSCME food service staff.
- Directs tasks to support departmental mission, vision and scope of services.
- Manages Food Safety. Ensures employee training and enforces Food Code regulations for food purchasing, preparation, service, storage, sanitation, safety, and security. Supervises and directs operations of foodservice employees to ensure food is safely prepared according to standardized recipes, and according to standardized menus. Assures proper portion and cost control of recipes and supplies.
- Assures that kitchen equipment and facilities are in proper working order. Demonstrates accountability for the proper use of patient protected health information.
- Ensures a safe work environment that includes education on proper safety and ergonomic techniques. Ensures employees are aware of and enforces proper storage and use of chemicals and wears personal protective equipment as required when using chemicals. Accountable for knowledge of and adherence to Joint Commission standards applicable to their work area. Investigates and resolves inquiries and complaints from customers and staff from outside the department.
- Manages Employee Performance. Ensures new employees attend orientation activities and ongoing training. Ensures that employees are trained in excellent customer service skills and adhere to departmental standards. Prepares work schedules assigns tasks within departmental budget guidelines. Reviews and approves job descriptions and processes. Ensures that all employees are compliant with mandatory health and educational requirements. Coaches foodservice employees to improve work performance. Handles employee complaints and grievances. Communicates regularly with employees to inform of upcoming events, policy changes, concerns, and comments.
- Encourages teamwork by creating an environment of empowerment and accountability. Disciplines employees when policies are violated, as outlined by AFSCME contract and departmental guidelines. Provides opportunities for staff development. Reviews and analyzes financial reports to manage costs within the current budget. Performs routine collection of quality indicators (i.e. conducting tray audits, verifying prep list production, monitoring overtime, etc.). Participates in ongoing departmental initiatives in quality improvement. Implements and assures compliance with standards, policies, and procedures set forth by federal and state regulatory agencies. Identifies opportunities to improve efficiency and effectiveness of foodservice operations.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Why Join Michigan Medicine?
Michigan Medicine is one of the largest health care complexes in the world and has been the site of many groundbreaking medical and technological advancements since the opening of the U-M Medical School in 1850. Michigan Medicine is comprised of over 30,000 employees and our vision is to attract, inspire, and develop outstanding people in medicine, sciences, and healthcare to become one of the world’s most distinguished academic health systems. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. Work at Michigan Medicine and become a victor for the greater good.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
COVID-19 vaccinations are required for all students, faculty and staff working in the following areas: Michigan Medicine including the Medical School, Dental School, University Health Service or the Mary A. Rackham Institute. This includes those working remotely and temporary workers. More information on this new policy is available on the U-M Health Response.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
To apply for this job please visit careers.umich.edu.