Nutrition Specialist & Registered Dietician Nutritionist
Website COMMUNITY HEALTH AND SOCIAL SERVICES CEN
BASIC JOB PURPOSE: Facilitates implementation of the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children at CHASS Center. Provides one-on-one counseling to clients who are high-risk. Establishes a care plan and follow up plan for high-risk clients. Provides one-on-one counseling to clients who are regularly not high-risk. Completes food package changes and approves/processes Class I, II, and III formula changes. The Nutrition Specialist/Registered Dietician Nutritionist will be cross-trained in Intake Specialist, Technician, and some Coordinator duties, The Nutrition Specialist/Registered Dietician Nutritionist will be expected to operate the WIC clinic on a daily basis.
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES AND FUNCTIONS:
1. Identify nutritional needs of clients through individual assessment.
2. Provide counseling to clients who are not or are considered high-risk
3. Provide nutrition education tailored or customized to the identified needs/interest of each high-risk participant.
4. Teach nutrition education classes as needed.
5. Develop and approve nutrition education curriculum.
6. Use appropriate software to document WIC client appointments including creation of Care Plans and Follow Up documentation.
7. Consult with client on WIC supplemental food packages including approval of Class I, Class ll, and Class lll formula requests.
8. Conduct anthropometric and laboratory functions, including but not limited to; height check, weight check, head circumference check, hemoglobin check, cleaning lab, maintaining inventory of lab and other assigned laboratory duties.
9. Assign and document appropriate referrals including but not limited to; Medical, Medicaid, MIHP Program, Food Stamp Program, Dental, etc.
10. Refer clients daily to the WIC Lactation Specialist and other breastfeeding peers and programs at CHASS.
11. Promote breastfeeding as the optimal form of nutrition to all pregnant, non-lactating post-partum, breastfeeding partially, breastfeeding exclusively clients.
12. Communicate the risks of formula to all clients who will be receiving formula.
13. Issue manual and electric breast pumps regularly.
14. Assess mothers who need help with latching their baby and assist the mother with latching her baby.
15. Attend MDHHS WIC Division trainings as appropriate.
16. Maintain program standards that are consistent with MDHHS WIC Division policies and procedures.
17. Document, distribute and maintain client records in accordance with HIPPA regulations;
18. Cover the front desk, receive calls and check voicemails as needed.
19. Receive direction and other duties from WIC Coordinator.
Education: Registered Dietitian credential required.
Language: Bilingual (Spanish/English) Strongly Preferred.
Experience: Two years of nutrition or health education experience. Previous experience in a community health program or a health setting preferred.
Certificate/License: Registration as a Registered Dietitian with the American Dietetic Association; registration must be maintained for continued status in this employee classification. Current Michigan Driver’s License.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org