Michigan Academy Annual Conference - April 26 & 27, 2018
Doubletree Hotel and Conference Center
Bay City, MI
Spring Conference Recap
By Julie Poole, MS, RDN, Professional Development chair
The Michigan Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Annual Conference took place on April 26th and 27th in Bay City. The conference was jam packed with a variety of accomplished speakers. Dr. Jon Robison presented Thursday’s keynote, “Health at Every Size: Helping People Make Peace with Their Bodies and Their Food,” while Dr. DeAndrea Beck gave Friday’s keynote on “Harnessing University Discovery, Engagement, and Learning to Achieve Food and Nutrition Security.” General sessions on the FODMAP diet, creating a passionate conversation about your career, and nutrition focused physical exam were also well received by the participants. Jill Jayne energized the room and got everyone moving in her evening session of “Nutrition Education Through Entertainment.”
The breakout sessions spanned a range of topics including a hands-on nutrition focused physical exam workshop, sports nutrition, ethics, nutrition support in critical care, a community panel, private practice strategies, infant nutrition, and diabetes care. Participants had the opportunity to learn about the latest products and services from the exhibitors. Scholarship recipients and 50-year members were honored on Thursday, and attendees had the opportunity to learn about current research at the Poster Session that evening. Additionally, many participants partook in a fun 5K run/walk at the end of the first day, which provided a chance to move while networking with fellow dietitians.
To best accommodate our members, we are surveying participants to determine which dates work best for future spring conferences:
• Third week of April
• Last week of April
• First week of May
• Second week of May
Please email your choice to Susanne Consiglio, RDN, Executive Director of the Michigan Academy at email@example.com.
The Michigan Academy Conference Planning Committee looks forward to seeing many of you in Sterling Heights for next year’s conference on May 9 & 10, 2019. Be a part of Michigan Academy’s 90th year as an Association!
YouTube video to check out for the speaker on Nutrition-Focused Physical Exam -Physical Exam for Fat Loss and Muscle Wasting
Fourteen CPE’s will be offered at the conference. Along with educational lecture sessions and panel discussions, you will have the opportunity to visit exhibit tables, a poster session, award ceremonies, and a run-walk event!
We have an exciting conference planned for you! Scroll below to read more about our amazing speakers, special drawings, planned exercise activities during the conference, and hotel information.
Please note the change in speaker for the Friday keynote: “Harnessing University Discovery, Engagement, and Learning to Achieve Food and Nutrition Security” to Dr. DeAndrea Beck. Dr. Beck is the Associate Dean for Research in International Studies and Programs at Michigan State University and was highly involved in the process and outcome of the report.
- Health at Every Size: Helping People Make Peace with Their Bodies and Their Food: Jon Robison, PhD, MS, MA
- Harnessing University Discovery, Engagement, and Learning to Achieve Food and Nutrition Security: DeAndrea Beck, PhD
- The New Management Paradigm for Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Key Role for Dietetics: Peter Gibson, MD
- I am a Registered Dietitian, Now What? Creating a Passionate Conversation About Your Career: Ann Cundiff, MS, RD
- Nutrition Education Through Entertainment: Jill Jayne, MS, RD
- Nutrition Focused Physical Examination (NFPE): Deborah Hutcheson, DCN, RDN, LDN
For a full speaker line-up, see the conference brochure link above
Important Dates to Remember in 2018
- February: The conference registration is open, and Early Bird pricing runs through April 4. Register from the link above. Registration for a non-competitive 5K run/walk on Thursday evening is available when you register for the conference.
- April 5: Conference price increase goes into effect. Add $50 to your registration.
- April 26: Michigan Academy Conference educational sessions and posters will take place.
- April 27: Michigan Academy Conference educational sessions, exhibits and MNDI Silent Auction will take place. Proceeds of the silent auction will benefit the dietetic student scholarship fund
Summary of Special Events
Thursday, April 26, 2018
- Michigan Nutrition and Dietetics Institute (MNDI) scholarship recipient awards at Thursday lunch, networking, and poster sessions.
- Drawing for first of TWO free 2019 Annual Conference registrations! PLUS
- Drawing for first of TWO free Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Annual Membership Renewals for 2018 – 2019!
Friday, April 27, 2018
- Exhibitors will display the latest nutrition products and services. Visit our exhibitors and sponsors to learn more about the products and services they have to offer you and the communities you serve!
- Drawing for second of TWO free 2019 Annual Conference registrations! AND
- Drawing for second of TWO free Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Annual Membership Renewals for 2018 – 2019!
You must be present to win in all drawings!
Walking breaks and 5K run/walk
- We received a lot of positive feedback about the physical activity breaks last year, so we made room for a one mile organized walk to get you out of your seats and re-energized each day!
- Thursday April 26th at 7pm: After a day of exercising your mind, come move your body in a fun and non-competitive 5K run or walk! This is a great opportunity to explore beautiful Bay City while mingling with fellow dietitians!
Doubletree Hotel Riverfront
One Wenonah Park Place, Bay City, Michigan 48708
Hotel Room Reservations: A block of rooms is reserved for the conference at the Doubletree Hotel. Room rates are $95 plus tax per night for a single or double occupancy. Reserve your room by calling the hotel at (989) 891-6000. Ask for this special rate and refer to the Michigan Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. The special rate is available until April 3, 2018. You can also reserve a room online: http://doubletree.hilton.com. Use the conference code “MAN” for online registrations.
Hotel Amenities: These include access to the fitness center, complimentary wifi, use of the business center, and a refrigerator in each guest room. Complimentary parking at the hotel will be provided if you are staying overnight.
Meet Some of Our Speakers!
Are you carrying out your passion as a dietitian in a way that is meaningful to you? In an interactive general session, Ann Cundiff, RD, LD, LSC, FAND, will help you explore your personal philosophy and identify outlets that align with your passion. No matter what point of your career you are in, you will leave this presentation feeling energized and refreshed to take on your next challenge!
In a captivating panel format breakout session, three community dietitians will describe the important roles they play in influencing the nutrition status of members of their communities. You will have the opportunity to learn from these experts about Michigan State Extension (Dawn Earnesty, MS, RDN-left), Taste the Local Difference and the Groundwork Center (Paula Martin, MS, RDN-center), and Regional Alliance for Healthy Schools school based health center (Jevgenija Meyers, RDN-right).
Whether you are specializing in sports nutrition or occasionally counseling active individuals, questions regarding sports nutrition often arise. In an informative breakout session, Allison Tropf, MS, RD, CSSD, will discuss how to fuel youth athletes by examining sports specific nutrition recommendations, hydration guidelines, timing strategies, and ways for youth athletes to overcome barriers to eating in order to promote optimal performance.
With diabetes being such a rampant disease and the research around diabetes constantly evolving, there is a lot of information to sift through. In an enlightening breakout session, Wendy Gregor, MA, RD, CDE, will discuss the latest MNT recommendations from the 2018 Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes along with the ADA’s new self -management program. You will leave this session feeling more confident that you are providing your clients with the most current-evidence based information.
Research consistently suggests that body size and health behaviors are not the major causes of health disparities across the United States, but that The Social Determinants of Health are more to blame. During the Health at Every Size keynote presentation, Dr. Jon Robison will discuss an alternate health-centered approach to helping individuals with weight concerns without a narrow focus on weight. In his Health at Every Body breakout session, focus will be paid to relevant weight and eating-related issues in our fat- and food-phobic culture including; weight stigma and discrimination, food preoccupation and shaming, and disordered eating.
Are you interested in working with elite level athletes and curious about how to get there? Sarah Snyder, Detroit Lions Team Performance Dietitian, will be providing insight into how to carve out your own career path working with athletes, from active individuals in your community to the top NFL players in the league. You will also gain understanding of the performance nutrition needs, as well as responsibilities of the dietitian, at the NFL level through first-hand experience and with the most current and critical research.
Welcome back Jill Jayne; and the Jump with Jill Rock Star Nutrition Show! Join the party as Jill performs catchy songs and upbeat dance moves to illustrate how children get excited about nutrition through this nationally acclaimed rock and roll concert! Jump with Jill energizes and engages audiences to make the choices that show their bodies the respect they deserve. Sing and dance along with Jill and learn about the science behind the show’s strategies in making nutrition rock for our students.